We live in the age of Do It Yourself. DIY craft projects, DIY home improvement–even DIY home building!
But what about selling or buying your home? Can you DIY that?
Well, of course you can. Most people don’t because it’s such a big, important purchase. Around 90% of buyers and sellers used some sort of real estate professional, and we strongly recommend you follow suit. There’s too much at stake not to leave it to the professionals.
So your next question may be, “do I get a real estate agent, or a Realtor?”
First Off–What’s The Difference?
The first thing you need to know is the difference between a certified Realtor and a real estate agent.
A Realtor is a licensed real estate salesperson who belongs to the National Association of Realtors, the largest trade group in the country. The biggest difference is the NAR’s code of ethics that all Realtors have to follow. It is an in-depth code that is enforced by the NAR. Realtors who break the code can be fined or have their licenses taken away.
Real Estate Agents
On the other hand, agents aren’t part of the NAR and don’t have an ethics code to follow. Agents are still licensed to sell property, but are not held accountable by any organization.
The 7 Benefits of Using A Realtor Over a Real Estate Agent
- Honesty: The ethics code that Realtors follow requires them to be honest about the property–in real life and in advertising.
- You Come First: Realtors are required to put you first. Their fiduciary responsibility is to you. They have to put your needs above theirs.
- Accountability: Realtors are held accountable by the NAR. If they ever break the ethics code or otherwise sully the NAR’s good name, they can be fined or suspended.
- Expertise: Real Estate laws change all the time. Realtors are obligated to stay current with new laws, regulations and practices. They are constantly refreshing and adding to their training and knowledge.
- Above and Beyond: The fact of the matter is that Realtors live and breathe real estate. They know all about the dangers of polybutylene piping and the pros and cons of FRT plywood roofing. You probably don’t know to ask about those things, but Realtors do–and will.
- The Most Accurate Pricing: Online pricing tools can give you an estimate for how much a property may cost, but often they can be grossly inaccurate. Realtors have up to date information about property value in the local market. Realtors can get you top dollar for your home–often as much as $40,000 more than you think!
- Skip the Paperwork: No one likes paperwork. But with a Realtor, they take care of it and you don’t have to slog through it! Contracts can be as long as 50 pages, and there’s no Sparknotes for this. And even if you did read all 50 pages, would you understand half of it? Let your Realtor take care of it.
We know selling and buying your home is complicated. There are lots of steps and it can be confusing–emotionally and logistically. But once you have a Realtor, it gets a lot easier. And lucky for you, all the agents at Paramount Realty are certified Realtors! So give us a call today and we can get started helping you buy or sell your home.